Monday, April 22, 2013

The Secret to Happiness Club


The Secret to Happiness Club

So here’s a question for you. Do you focus on your problems, or on solutions?

I gotta tell you, I didn’t know that my problems had solutions back in my dark ages. On the one hand, it was such a strange, uncomfortable feeling to just feel so messed up, with no recourse, and no hope. One of the symptoms of “messed up” was that there was no chance of ever feeling better.

On the other hand, I saw that some people around me seemed happy. They seemed to have figured out something I didn’t even know needed figuring.

I told myself that they were square and simple-minded, that they were shallow. If they only understood how horrible the world was, they would be a sad as me, as angry, and as scared.

On the third hand, I felt like they were keeping a secret. They were. And they were all members of The Secret to Happiness Club.

It seemed that there were some requirements for membership:

I had to own that my misery was my own doing, not the fault of my circumstances, or of you.

I had to decide to be happy.

I had to act on that decision daily.

I had to get help to alter both my circumstances and my thinking.

I didn’t need to satisfy those requirements in order, I didn’t need to do them well, I just needed to be sincere, and do my best.

It took me a long time to own that I was the source, and cure, of my misery. It seemed so much easier and way more comfy to be a victim. I liked the sound of my motto, “it’s not my fault!” Only problem was that any loudmouthed jerk could become the boss of me with just their own say-so. That was scary. And often painful. Gee, wonder why?

Each degree of ownership made the decision to practice being happy, on my terms, easier and easier.

Each time I chose happiness and needed a teacher to help me with the next level, the perfect teacher showed up.

Each step helped me feel more creative in every aspect of my life. I felt less and less constrained by needing to maintain my depressed feelings, and miserable outlook. They take tons of energy, way more than being happy. Some of my circumstances changed a lot as I chose happiness, some didn’t change at all, but my attitude has changed so much that those long-term circumstances may as well have turned inside out.

Instead of worrying my troubles, I am creative in my search for solutions, and opportunities to live my natural life of joy, peach, satisfaction, connection, and happiness.

Wanna join the club?

How have I changed from feeling down to creating my happy life?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 04212013


No comments: