Saturday, May 18, 2013

Amazing You


Amazing You

You are so cool. You are smart, and creative, kind, and cute. You do such interesting things, you’ve been through so much, and you are so helpful. I know it, lots of other people know it, Do you?

I know that sometimes you don’t think that’s true.

Sometimes we doubt our wonderful qualities. We  may think we aren’t somehow enough. If I were smarter, or more diligent, or more devoted, if I were more energetic, if I were more kind-hearted, if I had more money/power/charm, then something would happen and my life would be better.

The qualities change, but the feeling is the same; not enough. Isn’t that sad? There is our whole, wonderful self, and we can’t see it.

The next thing that happens is that we think we have to try harder than anyone else to prove that we are even just okay.

How do I know I am good enough?

Sometimes, we feel guilty. We feel like we didn’t do all we could have, or we sneaked something, or maybe we lied. We feel like we are bad.

What makes me a good person?

So here we are, feeling not good enough, like we might even be bad, and we start making weird decisions. Maybe we push away, or don’t even see, opportunities that would make our lives more enjoyable. Maybe we don’t ask for help when we need it, and struggle, or we may ask for too much help, and start to feel helpless.  We may feel like we don’t matter, so we start lashing out at people, at ourselves.

How do I know I count?

Sometimes we make mistakes. Perhaps it’s an error in performance, or an error in judgement. Perhaps we choose not to do something we then think we should have done, or we decide to do something and then think we shouldn’t. And we have consequences for our behavior that we don’t like.

How do I let go?

The bottom line looks like this: Each of us is unique and amazing in our own way. Each of us has stuff to face, to address, to deal with, and to overcome. Each of us can do it. The past will rule us until we lay it to rest. The more we complete and integrate those past experiences, the more lovely our daily lives become. Our daily lives are meant to be full of joy, satisfaction, peace, and happiness; this is our natural state.
Sometimes we need help to address our past. Get it. You are worth it. Your life is worth it. Your happiness is worth it. Choose your teachers carefully, and do what they say.

Cut yourself some slack. Step up and step out. Give yourself the benefit of the doubt. Time to rise and shine.

You know what you need to do. How is now the right time to do it?

How have I changed from feeling less than to knowing I am perfection in this moment?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 05182013



No comments: