Sunday, May 12, 2013

Spiritual Responder


Spiritual Responder

Who am I? Why am I here? If my life changes, am I still me? What makes me, me? What makes me feel connected to others? Do my actions matter? Do my beliefs matter? Do I make a difference?

Have you embarked on your spiritual journey? Make sure you pack your personal discovery flashlight, so you can shine your light into your dark corners. You might wanna bring some courage, and some self-forgiveness, too.

Here’s how I look at it.

You know the old saw, “Wherever you go, there you are.” one of my faves. Unless I am adept at astral projection, I bring my body everywhere with me. If the roof of my home were leaking, or the basement damp, or the lights dimmed every time I turned on the micro, or wind blew through the window casements, I’d probably do something about it. Yet so many of us ignore our bodies until they are screaming at us.

We ignore our hunger, or thirst, or fatigue. We ignore so much of the regular information it sends us, that when it sends us important stuff, we are in the habit of ignoring that, too. Often to our detriment.

Why do I listen to my body?

We have feelings, those emotion-thought loops that set our moods, direct our behavior.  When we let these rule our lives, we often behave in reprehensible ways. We do things that hurt others, that hurt ourselves. And we say, “That’s just how I am.”

Why do I care about my behavior?

We have situational patterns, events that happen over and over; getting fired, working for abusive people, having an accident when someone wants our help, the money fight at 9:30 on Sunday morning. We don’t wonder why that happens, we don’t look for the source of the pattern to change it, we may not even be aware that it is a pattern.

Why do I notice my patterns?

When I accept the responsibility of learning who I am, how I am, what I like, or dislike, how I have fun, what I’m good at, where I come from, and accept the responsibility of addressing my issues and topics, I accept the responsibility for my life. I am responsible for my happiness, my well being, my spiritual strength.

As I own my responsibilities for my life, it becomes easier and easier to let go of worry, guilt, struggle, and misery. It becomes easier and easier to relax into my natural life, to be present, to be aware, to behave mindfully.

It seems impossible, that taking more responsibility for my life would make it so much easier, but there you have it. Doing what seems impossible is often where real change happens.

How have I changed from ignoring my me to owning that I am the only one responsible for me?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 05122013


No comments: