Friday, May 24, 2013

Softening Reality

Softening Reality

Have you ever experienced eternity? If you have, then you know what I’m talking about, that sense of everything all at once, everything in soft focus from universes down to the smallest bit of stuff that makes up a quantum particle.

I have had the experience a number of times, but never quite known why, or what I did to get there, but I have come up with some ideas about stuff from them.

Thing number one. Reality is really not what we think it is. Quantum physicist, John Wheeler, says this about that, “There is no law except the law that there is no law.” What does it mean to us if a big deal scientist believes something like that? At the very least, we have way more choice, way more power, a much greater potential, probably than we could imagine. I want to imagine that reality. (We should still pay attention to judicial law.) (At least until we change our reality.)

I make up my own rules for my reality. When I chose to believe the world was a place of suffering and death, that’s what I saw. When I chose to be happy, I came to the the world as a place of joy and peace and interesting stuff. It takes way less energy to live in this world, so I have the juice to do a lot of fun stuff. How do I know I am the boss of my own reality?

Thing number two. If reality is not what we think it is, time is really not what we think it is. On the one hand, for example, everyone’s week has 168 hours in it. On the other hand, some people feel exhausted and like they never have enough time. On the third hand, some people work 60 or more hours, play, sleep, engage with friends and family, and still have time for contemplation, time for their own company.

There is an exercise I have found enormously helpful that messes with time. I imagine being my current self; strong, resourceful, calm, happy, compassionate; going back in time to a moment in my past when I despaired. I imagine sitting close to my former self, and telling her/me exactly what I needed to hear at that moment. I mean, who knows better than I what that was. I have softened many painful memories in that fashion. How do I know time is flexible for me?

Thing number three. In these experiences of eternity, I have a sense that I am a tiny and crucial part of it all. We are connected in ways we can’t even fathom. We are part of a whole that perhaps we can only imagine together. If I believe that is true, then enmity is stupid. The same way that I don’t punish my hand for dropping something, we are part of a whole, huge organism, maybe, so be nice, to yourself, to us.

Thing number four. Whatever part of me has had those experiences, mystical, religious, whatever you want to call them, that part isn’t corporeal. So there is a part of me that can do stuff without a body. This is really woo woo stuff. What it means to me is that this reality that I’ve created is also a dream. The less attachment I can have to “how things are” the softer everything gets. Everything.

Ok, so now you know some of my really fundamental beliefs that currently seem to serve me well, always subject to change.

How have I changed from believing everything is hard to knowing everything is soft?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 05242013

If you read all the way to the bottom, you get a prize today. Send me your address and I will send you a free CQ fridge magnet.

No comments: