Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Hunting Miracles

Hunting Miracles

One thing I like better than a really good cup of coffee is a nice little miracle. I have loosened up my definition since the dark ages, otherwise I would be waiting for images of the blessed virgin to appear in my cappuccino, and most likely feeling disappointed. A lot.

Now, my definition of a miracle is something unexpected that happens to me that makes my life better. That’s a  pretty soft definition, I admit, but then, it’s to keep my eyes open for them, and it really makes me appreciate the tiny things, the little moments of joy, or enlightenment, or calm, well, the list is long.

I know I talk about this a lot, but we get what we filter for. Once we own that, once we claim responsibility for our filters, the world is our oyster, as the saying goes.

We do it with our bodies all the time. I noticed this sitting on my porch in deep winter. The thought flits through my head, “I’m cold.” In the olden days, I would barely be aware of the thought, get up and go inside. Now, I notice the thought, and question it. What is actually cold? What parts of me are warm?

What I discovered was very interesting. My shins being chilly could produce, “I’m cold,” while the rest of me was warm as toast.

What am I filtering for? Why do I choose enjoy my physical sensations?

If I love to surf or slalom ski, living in the desert will be disappointing. If I love seasons, living in San Diego will bug me. If I am gregarious and outgoing, living alone in the woods might not suit me.

What am I filtering for? What makes me support my own well being?

Looking for outside reasons for our feelings is another filter we use. When I blame you for how I feel, I am avoiding taking responsibility for my feelings. When I blame you for my behavior, I’m avoiding taking responsibility for my behavior. It’s my life, my choices, my results.

What am I filtering for? How do I know I’m responsible for me?

I need to take some time on a regular basis to figure out what I want. Most of us have a really good idea of what we don’t want. Isn’t that hilarious? I can rattle off long lists of what I don’t want to have, don’t want to do, don’t  want to be, but when you say, “What do you want?” I am often stymied.

How do I know what I want?

I want satisfying work with people I love and respect. I want close friendships with people I trust and who make me laugh. I want sacred spaces where I can meditate and contemplate the stars. I want to feel peaceful at my core. I want the resources to be generous in many ways to loved ones and strangers, both. I want to see miracles every day.

How have I changed from being my problems to being my own solutions?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 05222013


No comments: