Sunday, September 01, 2013

Your Trust Very Own Fund

Your Trust Very Own Fund

Old saws, there’s nothing like ‘em for packing a bunch of growing up into a pithy little pile of words. A stitch in time saves nine. It’s always darkest before the dawn. By convention hot, by convention cold.

One of my most favorites of all is, plan plans, not outcomes. Well, it is now. It sure didn’t used to be. Now, I have learned to trust, and what a weird row that was to hoe.

I would plan like crazy. And when the plans failed for some reason, I would kind of fall apart because I had counted my chickens before they hatched. I didn’t understand that you never step in the same river twice, and never mind that drama queens are always looking for dramatic possibilities.

I was really fortunate because one of my strongest characteristics has been a driving curiosity, and we all know that curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought her back.

Ok, that’s enough of that.

Once I got that all the planning in the world didn’t guarantee that  things work out, once I got that I could trust that I would know what to do, and could make whatever happened be okay, things started getting easier and I started to relax.

Oh, yeah, growing up is awesome.

When I decided to start assuming that things would work out, I was able to relax. Worry doesn’t fit into that pattern. If I assume that things will work out, I am trusting. I cannot trust and worry at the same time. I cannot trust and feel anxious at the same time, I cannot trust and be afraid, either.

So trusting frees up a lot of energy. It makes my organism way more efficient, if you wanna look at it that way. Or you can think of it as now I have a bunch of extra energy to use to figure out what makes this way that things have worked out, all for the good.

Sometimes, the answer is obvious. Other times, I need to find the good. It may be that it allows something else to happen, sometimes there is a lesson, or a nugget of information, or something altogether new and unexpected. Every cloud has a silver lining. My mission is to find it. And to expect it. That’s more trust.

Now, if you are paying attention, you will see a pattern emerging. A really important one. When I assume things will work out, I am adjusting my attitude. When I seek the silver lining, I am adjusting my attitude. This is subtle, I know, and sneaky, but it comes back again to the fundamental notion that my attitude, my point of view determines how I experience life.

The events of my life don’t determine it’s quality, my interpretation does.

I know some of you are chafing right now. It’s a heck of a responsibility to decide that I am in charge of how I feel about my life. But when I accept it, when I decide that I’m in charge, when I start looking for all the good my life is offering me, I am trusting.

Go for it, it’s always darkest before the dawn.

How have I changed from choose worry, anxiety, fear, and anger to trusting that things will always work out?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 09012103

No comments: