Saturday, December 28, 2013

Your Groove Thing

Your Groove Thing

Oo, oo, oo! Tell me three things you like about your own sweet body right now! Ok, here’s three off the top of my head. I love that I have a body for my spirit to live it. I love that I can pet and cuddle my cats with my body. I love the taste and then the feeling of my hot morning drink on a chilly, pre-dawn, winter morning.

I sure didn’t. I sure used to hate my body, my looks. Lots of us do. We get strange notions, you and I.  

When we are young, we hear people say horrible things about our bodies, and we internalize them, and forget someone else was being mean. Then we rehearse ‘em over and over until they’ve gone all unconscious on us and we don’t even know we are thinking them. We end up just feeling awful about our bodies.

Our poor little bodies. We take all sorts of frustrations and pain out on our bodies. When we don’t like us very much, we often abuse our bodies. When they are crying for attention, we drug them into silence, or do other mean things, or stuff them, or run them into the ground. We ignore their pleas for food or water or rest. We push and push, or we refuse to move them at all, and let their muscles atrophy, and foul up our glands, and organs.

At least, I did.

Why would I love my body? How could I love my body? What makes me appreciation the miracle of flesh I live in?

We spend huge amounts of time, and and huge amounts of energy, and huge amounts of money on stuff to change our bodies to meet some kind of standard that a select few actually achieve. And once they do, staying there is often exhausting, full of deprivation and misery; a very diminished well being for all that effort.

How do I know I am beautiful? What makes me attractive from the insides out? Why am I just right?

When we are living our natural lives, we are easy in our bodies. We have learned how, and practice regularly, to relax our muscles. We like to move, we are flexible in our bodies, in our emotions, in our thoughts the best we can, and respect our own limits, with just a little push at them.

Why do I treat my body with love and respect?

When we are living our natural lives, we enjoy our bodies to their full complement. We want to keep them clean and tidy, as we do our homes. We dress them in ways that please us, and because we are expert manifesters, we know we don’t need lots of money to do that.

When we are living our natural lives, we prefer wholesome foods in moderation, treats in moderation, all the consumables we love, we have from time to time. We notice how our bodies feel, what feels good, what needs attention. We slake our thirst,  we like to get good rest, we are diligent if we have physical therapy exercises, we take our meds if we are prescribed. If what we are doing to heal our bodies isn’t working, we try alternative healing methods, or healers.

How have I changed from punishing my body for being mine to treating like the treasure it is?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 12282013

No comments: