Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Faux Happiness

Faux Happiness

I am always amazed when, out of a deck of fifty-two cards, the same one shows up over and over, or the same two. I got the happiness card again today. This is good for me. If I want to say something new, I will have to dig a little deeper, scan a bit broader. I get to become a bit more intimate with happiness.

Why is it so easy to think of something to write on happiness? Why are my creative juices flowing? Why does writing on topics I love come easily to me now?

Et, voila. (Seriously, this stuff works.)

I do talk about happiness a lot. It was something I really, really wanted, and worked very hard to get. At the same time, it’s just a word.

Happiness.

Having grown up on Charlie Brown and Snoopy, I have a bunch of those “happiness is...” images in my head. Thing is, that’s all outside stuff, and I got the lesson over and over and over and over that I can feel a lot of things about outside stuff, but core happiness wasn’t one of ‘em.

So I will try to parse happiness into manageable chunks, and see what falls out.

I love to laugh. I like to spend lighthearted time with my friends. I practice laughter yoga, and so, if you were peeping, you might see me laughing my head off, all alone. But laughter isn’t happiness, I could laugh in the dark ages, too, and heaven knows I wasn’t happy back then.

I love to love. I love having people and critters in my life that fill my heart up. Something about how their well being matters to me, and I want to contribute to it. Something about how I feel like I am more, better because of how I respond to them. But loving can also bring feelings that are challenging and dark, so love isn’t happiness.

Likewise with being loved.

Feeling peaceful is part of it for me, and relaxed. So is self-love, enjoying what I do, feeling satisfied in my accomplishments. Finding places to be creative each day, to engage, be quiet, take some time to meditate, to play. Having something to be passionate about is also an aspect of happiness for me. Allowing life to flow, letting things be easy.

Happiness isn’t about being all smiley and jokey. We can be miserable, and still be like that. Happiness isn’t about being cheerful, whistling a little tune, or bouncing around. That’s all stuff we can fake.

Core happiness comes from feeling right about ourselves, what we are doing, and with whom. Core happiness comes from responding to our life-events as they unfold, rather than trying to control them, or fighting them.

Core happiness comes from letting ourselves be unconditional, but with healthy boundaries. (I know, it sounds like a contradiction but let it roll around for a bit. You’ll see what I mean.)

Core happiness comes from spending time living our natural lives.

How have I changed from faking happy to finding my way to the real thing?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 12032013

No comments: