Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The Universal Self

The Universal Self

This morning I pulled the “Why do I trust?” card. I have been thinking this question, and little variations on it, for the last few days. I love this Creative Question. Especially since the reverse was so familiar to me.

Why do I trust? Why can I trust? How do I know I can trust?

As I grow up, my life gets bigger. As my life gets bigger, I find myself from time to time wondering how I will manage. I can find myself creeping toward overwhelmed, or even toward scared, and then I remember to ask, “Why can I trust? Why can I trust my process? Why do I trust the Universe?”

When I trust, I relax. When I relax, I flow. My thoughts and emotions can flow through my mind. My qi and vitals can flow in my body. My life can flow.

When I trust, I can open my heart. When I open my heart, really nice stuff can come in; love, support, care, the healing of relationships.

When I trust, I can slow down. That means I have time to savor my life, relish my relationships. I have time for work, family, friends, hobbies, activities, spiritual life,  exercise, meals, and sleep. And when I trust, I sleep a whole lot better.

When I trust, I can easily remember to practice all this stuff. I can practice on little challenges, I can practice with somewhat difficult situations, I can practice with minorly difficult people.

And then the miracle happens.

When the big challenge shows up, when the really difficult situations arise, when the super challenging people appear, we can handle it.

We can handle it.

We will manage with grace and poise. We will operate from our perfect self, our core. We will feel peaceful and experience our stillness.We will find compassion, we will find solutions. We will accept help and other’s expertise.

How do I know the Universe provides? What makes me feel protected? How can I choose to feel safe?

The Twelve Steps programs teach us to let go, and to turn things over to our higher power. When we choose to trust, we do this automatically, effortlessly. When we choose to trust, we also choose to refrain from worry and fear. When we choose to trust, we find that, while anger may flare, it moves through quickly and without leaving destruction behind.

When I choose to trust, I no longer need to try to control stuff I can’t, like you, and I find that I take joy in controlling the things I can control, like my thoughts and feelings.

When I choose to trust, I choose freedom. When I choose to trust, I allow my divine and infinite self to emerge. I like that.

How have I changed from being small and mistrustful to opening to the vastness of my Universal self?

(c) Pam Guthrie 2013 all rights reserved 12172013

No comments: